In this post, I’ll explain the many different methods of communication with faeries, but before I being I’ll lay out some basic things to know
1. Don’t give trust so easily
- this is just a general note. Its believed that faeries can’t lie, and there is much discussions between how this can or cannot be true, but either be wary. Faeries won’t always be “honest”
- faeries don’t know everything. They’re beings like us in the way that they know what they learn, see, and experience. They won’t know all the answers you seek
- faeries tend to be natural tricksters. heads up!
2. Location can help with communication
- Local Fae (faeries that live within our realm) tend to be drawn more to certain locations. There tend to be hotspots within areas that have a lot of them. You may even find your own home or neighborhood to be one
- Traveling or Wandering Fae tend to come to places of interest. This can include your own home if it catches their eye
- Arcadian (Faeland) Fae live completely in the Faelands, but they can be reached through certain communication methods, astral travel, and even calling
3. There are ways to help catch their attention, or even draw them in
- gifts can help a lot! When I plan on communicating, I tend to bring a bowl of sugar or sweets. This gives faeries more motivation to talk. It also helps make you look more friendly
- research a bit into different kinds of faeries. Different things can help attract them. Lavender or milk for brownies, flowers or perfume for flower faeries, candy for pixies, and so on
- make the communication seem like a game! Faeries tend to be more interested if something seems fun
4. Know how to give a faerie the boot
- if a faerie is being rude or dangerous, its good to ask them to leave. If they won’t listen, you shouldn’t be afraid to show a little force. If someone was terrorizing your house, wouldn’t you try to make them leave?
- lemons, limes, iron, mirrors (man-made), and various other wards can help make them leave
- You can also “trick” or bride the faerie to leave as well
- and of course, if you don’t want any problems at home, then one should not invite a faerie into the house
For more information on faeries I suggest checking these out!
faerie101: What are faeries?
Now, I’ll be going over three typical methods of communication.
- communication with a medium
- communication through trance
- communication through dreams and traveling
1. Some different communication methods involving mediums and how they work
“A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot so that it can swing freely.” -x
The first (and a favorite of mine) way of communication with the fae is the use of a pendulum.
Pendulums are used for communication with a lot of different entities from gods to ghosts.
Typically, it is used as the following. One first summons, calls, or invites a faerie to come and speak with them.
When using a pendulum, one can use it alone or with a pendulum board.
Pendulum boards can take a lot of different shapes, sizes, and appearances. The above is a typical pendulum board. If you don’t have a pendulum board, you can easily make one on paper, chalkboard, cardboard, whiteboard, etc. They’re really easy to make.
You can also make your pendulum boards more detailed by having the entire alphabet, numbers, and a few words placed on it. The pendulum freely swings to each letter, hopefully spelling out words and such.
If you don’t want to use a pendulum board, I would advice in making the meanings of the direction of swings very clear.
Example: left—right = yes, up—down = no, South west—North east = maybe, South east —- North west = I don’t know.
With the pendulum, you hold it, but allow the faerie(s) to control its movements. If you have shaky hands like I do, I would suggest getting something to hold the pendulum up for you.
- a bowl of sugar
- a pendulum
- sit and relax. Take a moment to prepare (remove any raw iron or cover any mirrors).
- Place the bowl of sugar above the pendulum board (if you’re using one), or place it to your side. “I call upon the fair of old, one who is free, one who is playful, one who is careless. Come and chat with me~” Point to the bowl “I bring sweets"
- Hold the pendulum (state the meanings of the swings if not using a pendulum board), then you will state “Are there any of the Good Folk here?” If your pendulum suddenly changes from its normal position, then they’re here.
- You may start communication with them
For more information on pendulums, different methods of using them, and so on, I suggest checking these links out
“The Ouija board (// wee-jə) also known as a spirit board or talking board, is a flat board marked with the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0-9, the words "yes”, “no”, “hello” (occasionally), and “goodbye”, along with various symbols and graphics. It is a registeredtrademark of Hasbro Inc., which markets and distributes the Ouija board as part of its line of board games.“ -x
Ouija boards are definitely a favorite method for communication. I don’t use them for speaking with ghosts or spirits, but rather I use them for faeries.
I feel that the ouija board lightens the mood a bit. Specifically, they [Ouija boards] (Not so much spirit boards or talking boards) were designed and meant to be played as a game. Faeries tend to love games (not all), and with this it helps lighten the mood and make you feel more fun to be around.
The ouija board works almost the same as a pendulum+board. Instead of a pendulum, you have a planchette (small heart-shaped piece of wood) or movable indicator to indicate the spirit’s message by spelling it out on the board.
You place your hands upon the planchette and place energy in it, but do not move it. You will allow the faeries to control your movement to spell out words and answers.
2. If you can find a Faery mound, Faery Circle, or a Faery doorway that would be great, but if you can’t just find a quiet place to sit.
So make sure you burn lavender or birchwood to keep harmful fae away
Cards a great medium for use. This includes anything from tarot cards, oracle cards, or even playing cards. They’re easy to use and there are a lot of methods.
When using cards, I would suggest laying out the meanings of the cards (if you have a book that states their meanings, leave it out for the faeries to look through). After they know the meanings, you can start.
You can do the normal "shuffle and pick” way, or you can try my favorite way
1. I lay out all the cards in a straight line (maybe 2 or 3 rows) and I concentrate
2. I state that the cards are free for the faeries to use, and then I ask my question
3. I move my hands over the card and wait for a sign from a faerie (like a pinch or a pull)
4. I then pick up the card, interpret it, and translate it to see how it answers my question
tarot card meanings
You can use various different divination methods as ways for communication. Things from scrying to even shufflemancy. Divination methods tend to involve mediums perfect for communication
2. Communication through trance, or trance-like methods
Straight out trance work
Entering a trance, one changes their state of mind and are more open to outside senses. It can help open your mind’s eye and open up communication.
Some things to note
- trance work can potentially be dangerous, but remember that you have the ability to remain in control of the entire situation
- there are many ways of entering a trance through methods such as music/sounds, meditation, the aid of plants and herbs, and so on. I would suggest researching various trance entering methods
- I would suggest only doing this if you’re comfortable
The way I’ve interpreted this is that trance-work allows you to open your mind and extend your senses. Even if we normally can’t communicate with faeries because of our limited senses, we can reach out with our mind’s eye or heighten our senses and awareness.
I typically start to meditate to repetitive sounds (like a drum or a harp) to enter into a trance-like state. I’ve been researching on hedge witchery to get a better understanding about how its done that way.
For more information on trance and trance-work
Wyldewood’s post on trance work
Hedge-walker’s post on methods of hedge crossing (talks about trance work)
Hedge Witchery Witchcraft
Hallucinogens and Shamanism by Michael Harner
3. Dreams and “Astral Travel"
These methods tend to be a little bit more difficult than the other two; however, they can definitely be done.
Communication through dreams can be hard, I would suggest learning and reading up on lucid dreaming to help aid the process. A method of dream communication is that you "invite” faerie(s) into your dreams to speak with you.
This can be done in a very ritualistic way. You can draw sigils of “invite” and “talk” upon you. Things to draw their attention. It all depends on what you feel most comfortable with.
Communication through astral travel or astral projection can vary as well. You can find yourself either traveling directly to the Faelands, or in fact can project yourself out to speak with local fae or fae that you’ve invited into your home.
For more information on Astral Travel and astral projection
Pagan101 resource page
Duskenpath’s resource page
the Rose Bell’s resource page
Astral Travel: how I do it
Now there are various methods of communication, and what I’ve talked about are just a small portion of the things you can do.
I do hope that this can be a good starting point for those who don’t have a clue on what to do.
Best of luck to everyone!